Monday, November 22, 2010

A Year with Diabetes

It has been one year since Ben was diagnosed with Type 1 or Juvenile Diabetes.

Last November Ben lost a lot of weight. I thought it was because he had started school. He was acting a little ornery too, but again I thought it was just school.
We went to my moms house for the weekend to go to my uncles wedding and just have a fun time at Grandma's. Only a few hours after arriving I sprang ed my ankle stepping out of my moms front door. I was stuck on the couch the rest of the day and the all of the next. Ben just sat by me the whole time. He wouldn't play. He looked very tired. I thought he was getting a cold or something. My mom went to my uncle's wedding and took me and the boys to my sisters so she could help me with my kids. When we got there Ben asked for a drink and shortly after threw it up. So he was getting sick. Then he slept for 2 hours. When my mom got back I decided just to go home Ben wasn't feeling well and I was a gimp. We drove home and Ben slept the whole time. He threw up again and went to bed shortly after arriving home. The next day he slept til 10. After that he was acting much better, although he said he still had a sore throat. Kory and I went to a football, stupid of us but he said he was better. My sister said he slept the whole time. Came home and slept the rest of the day all night and most of the morning. He was still saying his throat hurt. strep throat right? The next day was Sunday, I took him to an insta care. They did a swab, not strep, the Doctor said he probably just had a very bad cold. Well he slept all day. I knew it was not a cold. Something was seriously wrong. I called my Doctor first thing in the morning and got in that afternoon. I was hysterical. He was just sleeping, not at all coherent. I called Kory and told him I was taking him to the E.R. and he said just take him to the doctor. I told Kory he better come too. He meet me at the doctors. Our Doctor took one look at him and said it looks like new onset diabetes and we need to take him to Primary's Children Hospital. We went to the ER at Primary's. They rushed us in even though there were other people there and it was confirmed Diabetes. After a very long time and three nurse's and one Doctor tyring to get an IV in he was being rehydrate and given insulin. We spent one night in intensivecare and four days at the hospital. Ben slowly began to me more like himself, though not completely. Kory and I were taught what diabetes was and how to treat it. we gave shots to oranges then to Ben. We learned about the glucose meters and how to notice highs and lows. His fingers from being tested every hour.




Hospital Bed.


Playing at the Fun center in the hospital. This picture shows the best how skinny he had become. But still doesn't do it justice.



This is the other day, him testing his blood. HE tests himself a minimum of 5 times a day. He also gives himself insulin shots with every meal and at bedtime. Again a minimum of 5 a day.




This is our diabetic supply cupboard. This is kind of empty too. There is usually a lot more.

I want to get on my soap box for a minute. There are a lot of misconceptions of Type 1 diabetes. Ben did not get this because he is over weight or eats too much sugar. Ben's pancreas does not produce insulin and will never again. Insulin is what turns carbohydrates into energy. Carbs are a vital part of every ones diet. They are found in almost everything you eat. Fruits, veggies, milk, yogurt, whole grain bread, and nuts for instance all have them and they are all very healthy for you.

Ben does not need to restrict his diet, but just like everyone else needs to eat sensible.
There is no cure (yet) for type 1. It is not reversible.

In Ben's case it was genetics that caused it. Kory's mom has had Type 1 for 40+ years so he carries the gene even if he doesn't have it. But it can happen to someone who has no family history of it.

After a year we have adjusted and now it is just our life. Ben is doing wonderful. He tests himself and after I tell him how much insulin he needs, he gives himself a shot. He is very shy about his diabetes and doesn't like to talk about it to people other than family. He still has moments of "whoa is me" but I would too. He still has mood swing when he is too high or two low but we are able to recognize them better now. He is amazing and we love him very much. Kids with diabetes are so incredible.

3 comments:

Allison said...

What a year! It sounds like you've got a pretty awesome little boy! And he's got some pretty awesome parents too! Hope everything continues to go better.

Staci Savage said...

Wow Jill--just catching up! So glad Ben is well. What a guy, he does all that stuff himself! Good to see you guys!

jor said...

What a big brave boy! I am so impressed with him and how he takes care of it himself.